The Bavarian Academy of Dramatic Arts was founded in 2001 as a private initiative. Its objective was to establish a decentralized cultural and training facility – i.e. outside of the Bavarian state capital Munich – whose influence and profile would embrace all of Bavaria. Its remit includes training, advanced training, cultural mediation, cooperation, networking and the promotion of cultural themes. In this context, its activities should not be focused on or limited to Munich, and should not radiate from there either.
Regensburg quickly emerged as the ideal candidate. As a university town with five theater genres, including multiple venues and a vibrant cultural scene, the atmosphere of the prospering city rendered it especially attractive.
The divisions of the Bavarian Academy of Dramatic Arts:
Specialist Academy for Acting, Stage Direction
- State-funded - the Bavarian Academy of Dramatic Arts is a tuition-free acting school
- State degree (Specialist Academy)
- Accredited in respect of the Federal Training Assistance Act (BAföG), a federal law in support of education for which students can apply individually
- One-on-one and small group instruction from the first year
Academy Theater Regensburg
- Chamber theater with up to 150 productions per year
- Besides children's theater performances, the program also includes productions for adults and guest performances
- Students of the Academy are involved in productions of the Academy Theater from their first year of study
Children's acting school and open courses
- Mainly during school holidays, the children's acting school offers courses for children between the ages of 5 and 14
- Drama clubs for youths and adults in the Bavarian Academy of Dramatic Arts
- Courses are led by students of the Academy (Theater Education course)
"People need cultural events, they sometimes just have to be reminded of this"
Elmar Cichy, Executive Director of the Bavarian Academy of Dramatic Arts